Sunday, January 26, 2014

My New Black Friends!

I was just getting off the frontrunner from work on Saturday when a tall black man and a shorter black woman approached me.

"Can I borrow your cell phone to make a phone call?" The tall man asked me. Dang, I thought, I hate it when people ask me that and I don't have my phone.


"I would let you borrow it but I left it at my friends house," I replied. "My wife is coming to pick me up here soon though and you can use hers."

"That works," The tall one said again. The three of us started walking over the the frontrunner parking lot.

"What brings you two out here to West Jordan?" I asked.

"My mom's boyfriend is getting baptized today," The tall one responded again.

"That's awesome!" I exclaimed, "I love baptisms. They are always so cool."

"Yeah," He said. "I'm a convert to the church. I was baptized when I was 16 and I was the first one in my family to join the church."

"Wow!" I said. "That must have been hard. You were the pioneer of your family."

"Yup," He said.

About then Charly, her mom, and Luke pulled up in her mom's little white Honda Civic. Charly got out and I asked her if my new friends could use her phone. Of course she said yes and handed the phone to man.

"What are your names?" I asked.

The girl spoke, "My name is Mia," She said, "And this is Wallace." Wallace grinned at me. He was on the phone with his mom.

"My name is Benjamin and this is Charly," I said, introducing us.


After calling, Wallace and Mia found that they would have to wait a while in the parking lot for Wallace's mom to pick them up. We ended up offering them a ride.

"I don't know how well the four of us are going to fit in the back of this little Honda..." I said. "How tall are you Wallace?"


"I'm 6' 6''," He said grinning again.

We all squeezed in. Charly sat on my lap which work out pretty well for me. We were able to get them to the right place and as far as I know they made it to the baptism with their mom.

Both Charly and I love it when we get opportunities to serve other people. I know that we will be blessed for it even if the things we do are small sometimes. I always enjoy making new friends as well and it's not every day that I get to make new black friends! Unfortunately there just aren't as many in Utah as there are in Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment